Design Engineer Intern (WD30038635279)
What you will do
We are looking for a talented Design Engineer Intern to join our R&D team in Marinette, WI!
Summer Term: May/June - August 2018. Assignment will be for approximately 3-4 months.
Business Unit Overview
A segment of Johnson Controls, Tyco Fire Protection Products is a global leader in fire and life safety. We provide fire detection, sprinkler, suppression, special-hazard, and emergency communications solutions to customers in countries spanning six continents. With more than 30 manufacturing facilities worldwide, we provide safety and security for millions of customers around the world every day. Plus, we offer a comprehensive array of testing, inspection, maintenance, and repair services to keep fire and life-safety systems in top working order.
How you will do it
- Prepare design layouts, detailed drawings, and specifications.
- Coordinates prototype efforts.
- Compiles and analyzes operational, test, and research data to establish and/or evaluate performance standards and limits for new or existing products.
- Confer with research personnel and other technical functions as required to clarify and resolve problems and develop designs.
- Plans and holds meetings when appropriate.
- Prepares and presents reports and presentations as needed.
- Interacts and coordinates project activities with internal functions and external partners throughout design process.
- Performs all elements of the job in accordance with established procedures.
About our internship program:
During your assignment with JCI, you may have a variety of developmental opportunities in addition to your work assignments, such as, roundtable discussions with senior leaders to skill-building workshops, networking events, and community activities. No matter what your assignment, you will be presented with exceptional opportunities that help you explore diverse career paths!
What we look for
- Completed sophomore year working towards a BS or completed first year of an MS degree.
- Pursuing a degree in mechanical, electrical, industrial engineering.
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA.
- U.S. citizen or legal right to work in the U.S.
- Computer proficient; with experience in MS Office, MS Project, CAD, preferably experienced in Pro -E.
- Must be familiar with product design and testing.
- Experience with 3D modeling a plus. Pro-E desired.
- Strong analytical ability to solve programs and ability to learn quickly.
- Strong written & verbal communication skills to generate process instructions and reports.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and cross-functional teams with minimum guidance.
- Ability to follow a structured project management process including document meeting minutes, action items, and monitor progress.
Who we are
At Johnson Controls, we're shaping the future to create a world that's safe, comfortable and sustainable. Our global team creates innovative, integrated solutions to make cities more connected, buildings more intelligent and vehicles more efficient. We are passionate about improving the way the world lives, works and plays. The future requires bold ideas, an entrepreneurial mind-set and collaboration across boundaries. You need a career focused on tomorrow. Tomorrow needs you.
Johnson Controls is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation during the application process please email
Johnson Controls is a global multi-industrial company with core businesses in the automotive, building and energy storage industries. Our 170,000 employees create quality products and services to optimize energy and operational efficiencies of buildings, energy storage and interior systems for automobiles. Through our growth strategies and by increasing market share we are committed to delivering value to shareholders and making our customers successful.Johnson Controls, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability or any other characteristic protected by law. If you are an individual with a disability and need assistance or accommodation during the application process please call 414-524-8999 and press option #0 or email HR_Recruitment@jci.com.