As a Field Transportation summer intern, you will work closely with front-line field managers on process improvement initiatives that will create operating efficiencies of a Class 1 railroad. You will work in a railroad yard alongside a team of managers and unionized work crews building a network of resources. You will learn railroad operations, collect & analyze data and make process improvement recommendations. We are looking for critical thinkers with strong analytical, problem solving and communication skills who can lead change and aspire to develop into a full-time transportation front-line field manager at Union Pacific Railroad.
This is a paid summer internship. Housing and transportation will be provided if needed. Applicants must have full-time U.S. work authorization. Successful applicants must pass pre-employment testing, mandatory employment drug test and a background search. Interns are subject to the Company dress code and random drug testing.
- Establish understanding and enthusiasm for improving railroad transportation processes and efficiencies.
- Utilize lean tools and other techniques that support sustained process improvements.
- Champion implementation of final process improvement changes.
- Lead the data collection, evaluation and problem solving process for an assigned strategic improvement project.
- Present problem analysis findings and recommendations to leadership team.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with local field personnel and various support departments to identify and define critical constraints.
- College credits equivalent to one year towards an undergraduate degree (sophomore status or above) with a 2.5 GPA or above
- 1 year(s) experience in lean management or quality practices
- Applicants receiving a conditional job offer must pass a color vision assessment to ensure they are able to distinguish among red, blue, green and yellow colors, and be able to see at night.
Union Pacific supports diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer inclusive of protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.