Union Pacific's Mechanical Department intern program enables talented students to experience the work environment of a Fortune 140 company while continuing their education. Students gain insight into the U.S. transportation industry while being paid and working for an industry leader. Based on departmental needs and student interests, Union Pacific is looking for summer, semester-long or year-round interns/coops. Candidates must be enrolled in an accredited university actively pursuing a bachelors or masters degree in Electrical, Mechanical or Industrial Engineering. Transcripts will be required at the time of interview with a desired minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7 or above. To be eligible for consideration, students must be currently enrolled in a college degree program and must have completed sophomore year before intern start date. Salary is commensurate with education, experience and type of assignment.Applicants must have full-time U.S. work authorization. Applicants must pass mandatory employment drug test and background search. Applicants are subject to the Company dress code and random drug testing.
- Description: This is a field/shop operations position in the Mechanical Department. The opportunity is intended for college students during their last 2 years of college while pursuing their degree. Applicants should have a desire to develop into leadership positions and be self-motivated. Practical work experience with involvement in teams lead toward potential development as a field manager.
- Working Conditions: Will be assigned to one of the major locomotive or car facilities. Specific assignments will typically include working with shop employees: 1) create standard work documents for repair tasks, 2) document value stream maps, reduce constraints and improve flow, 3) implement shop process improvement projects, 4) perform industrial engineering projects, 5) work to solve component failure issues, and 6) apply Lean or Six Sigma concepts to business problems.
- Expectations: Intern/coops are expected to be self-starters, work well independently, and have an ongoing respect for heavy machinery associated with the transportation industry and its inherent dangers. Intern/coops are expected to perform quality and timely work assignments, make best use of resources, work in cooperation with all employees, and perform according to normal and customary ethical standards.
- Employment status: While employed at Union Pacific Railroad, intern/coop students will be classified as railroad employees for the time of their experience. Acceptance of employment for an intern/coop is not a contract for full-time hire and can be terminated by Union Pacific or the intern/coop at any time.
- College credits equivalent to one year towards an undergraduate degree (sophomore status or above)
- Drivers license required for this position.
- Proficient Microsoft Suite skills
- Proficient People Management skills
- Applicants receiving a conditional job offer must pass a color vision assessment to ensure they are able to distinguish among red, blue, green and yellow colors, and be able to see at night.
Union Pacific supports diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer inclusive of protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.