Job DescriptionJob Title: Phlebotomist
Job ID: 73966677
Hours: 7am - 3:30pm
Shift: Day Job
Facility: UPMC Chautauqua at WCA
Department: Procurement & Dispatch
UPMC Chautauqua is looking for a Phlebotomist for their new outpatient draw station located in the Fredonia/Dunkirk area! This position is full-time with up to 40 hours per week. The shifts are Monday through Friday, 7:00am to 3:30pm at their Fredonia/Dunkirk location. Weekend and holiday shifts are required at the WCA Hospital. The job responsibilities include collecting specimen, procuring appropriate blood specimens by venipuncture, heelstick and fingerstick, etc. One year of phlebotomy experience and knowledge of specimen processing is preferred.
This position has the responsibility and accountability for accurately performing phlebotomy and specimen collection of inpatients and/or outpatients. Samples collected by the phlebotomist are used for laboratory test procedures that are essential in the diagnosis and treatment of patients. The Phlebotomist may also perform computer, courier, and clerical functions that are essential to laboratory operations. The Phlebotomist works in conjunction with and under the supervision of the Medical Technologists.
- Interact with all laboratory customers courteously and professionally; responds to telephone inquiries in a timely manner.
- Following proper patient identification procedures, procures appropriate blood specimens by venipuncture, heelstick and fingerstick. As required, instructs patients on the collection procedures for laboratory specimens that are obtained by the patient, and may collect samples other than blood.
- Demonstrates dependability, reliability, and independent judgment recognizing priorities to accommodate department needs and acceptance of appropriate authority.
- Specimen collection may be performed at off-site locations. Transports specimens from on- and off-site collection areas to the appropriate section of the laboratory following established safety procedures.
- Adhere to established laboratory and hospital policies in areas of procedures, methods, quality control, quality assurance, safety, including hand hygiene techniques and proper isolation precautions., compliance and personnel policies.
- As required, performs related clerical duties, and utilizes various computer functions to accurately enter demographic information into the information system(s), enters test orders, receives, cancels, charges, and credits tests, while ascertaining adequacy of patient information as well as sample identity.
- Trains and orients new employees, students and residents, as applicable and as assigned.
- Inform technical staff, supervisory personnel and/or pathologists of any unusual or problematic incidents.
- May also perform arterial puncture following strict collection and post collection guidelines .
- Monitors and maintains supplies for those functions for which the position is responsible; uses materials and reagents in a cost-effective manner.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Certification from an accredited Phlebotomy or Medical Assistant program is preferred.
- Minimum 6 months experience performing phlebotomy is preferred.
- Medical terminology knowledge and laboratory information system experience preferred.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
Phlebotomy Technician (PBT(ASCP)) or equivalent certification preferred.
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
Salary Range: $12.93 to $19.68 / hour
Union Position: No
For the best application experience, we encourage you to apply for this job from a non-mobile device.