Experienced Protective Security Officers (PSO) for immediate hire. The position is located at Plum Island Animal Disease Center at Orient Point, NY.
This is a Part Time opportunity.
- Perform a variety of security-related duties, depending on type of posts assigned and must be thoroughly familiar with Post Orders and Officer's Duty Book of assigned posts;
- Monitor and observe facility occupants and visitors for compliance with Federal Management Regulations, Facility Management, and facility's posted rules and regulations;
- Identify, report, delay, or detain persons who violate rules and regulations, as appropriate.
- Report incidents in accordance with established procedures;
- Provide a brief summary to on-coming PSOs of recent, continuing, or anticipated events and occurrences for assigned post;
- Maintain logs, reports, and files of incidents and occurrences encountered during tour of duty;
- Perform duties in a professional manner, responsible for observing surrounding environment, and, when necessary, questioning those persons whose activities arouse suspicion;
- Be knowledgeable of location and use of: first aid kits, fire extinguishers, AEDs, fire alarms, emergency exits, and duress alarms (if any) and ready, willing, and able to use as necessary;
- Be familiar with each tenant Agency and location within facility, restrooms, elevators, entrances and exits, retail spaces, and parking areas, and shall provide that information upon inquiry;
- Must be mentally alert and physically ready to operate and enforce the Government's system of personnel identification and access/egress control. Purpose of access/egress control is to allow only authorized individuals, vehicles, and items to pass into controlled areas;
- Control individuals attempting to gain access to facility by verifying identification;
- Prevent, discover, delay, and/or detain persons attempting to gain unauthorized access to property and/or personnel at the facility being protected;
- Operate screening post and conduct inspections in event of an emergency or elevated security posture;
- Conduct inspections using automated technology; by manual tactile techniques, such as touching and feeling, or by visual surveillance and include, but are not limited to, inspection of packages, briefcases, purses, canisters, bags, valises, and other containers in the possession of visitors, employees, and other persons arriving on, working at, visiting, or departing from the facility;
- Conduct and record performance tests of equipment;
- Deny admittance to those persons refusing to submit to a voluntary inspection, except for those persons exempted by specific Government directive.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Able to speak, understand, read and write the English language fluently.
- Capable of passing a medical screening, psychological evaluation, drug screen, and background check.
- Ability to present a professional appearance.
- Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this position requires U.S. Citizenship status.
- Social Security Card issued and approved by the Social Security Administration
- 21 years of age or older
- Maintain Firearms Qualification
- Possess a high school diploma or GED
- Current driver's license
- Current NY armed security guard license
- Prior military/law enforcement experience
- Three years of security experience within past five years, ORthree years of military or National Guard (active duty or reserve), OR successful completion of a state certified Law Enforcement Education and Training or Police Officer's Standard Training course, OR an Associate's Degree in criminal justice, law enforcement, or physical security, OR any reasonable combination of the above.
- Must be available for all shifts, days, evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Schedule to be determined by onsite management.
- Weekend Availability A Must.
- 64 hour Federal Protective Services (FPS) certification is preferred.
Orient Point, New York, United States
Afognak Native Corporation, Alutiiq LLC and their subsidiaries is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.