The Education Specialist's primary concern is the improvement of learning opportunities for students attending New York Edge Champion's Club After School Program. The Educational Specialist is an on-site instructional leader who works in close collaboration with the Education Department and the Site Director to support front-line staff (Group Leaders and Activity Specialists) in the delivery of skill-based curricula and thematic projects. Their role is to support program instructional/enrichment goals by ensuring activities are structured, age-appropriate, aligned to school day instructional practices and model effective classroom management (as needed). The education specialist has the role of coach and consultant in advising the site director, teachers, group leaders and activity specialists who work within the after school program.
- Ensures classroom instruction aligns to New York Edge quality standards during academic and enrichment activities
- Provides oversight of curricula implementation to support school day instruction.
- Observes and provides feedback to activity specialists, teachers and group leaders on a daily basis providing advice and modeling lessons as needed. Maintains an observation/feedback log documenting help provided.
- Ensures activity lesson plans and projects are age-appropriate and have clear learning objectives.
- Assesses the effectiveness and success of the approved curriculum and recommends changes based on student work.
- Documents student progress and projects through multimedia e.g. photos from cellular phone
- Coordinates the administration and implementation of academic assessments systems
- Submits a summary report of student achievements at the end of each cycle to the Principal, the Site Director and the Education Department.
- Provides at least six hours of on-site professional development based on the needs of the activity specialists and tutors.
- Attends bi-monthly workshops.
- Serves as an instructional coach and mentor for front-line staff
- Plans and implements staff development as it relates to instructional strategies and classroom management
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Broad knowledge of the principles and practices of current educational trends in curriculum and instruction
- Understanding and experience of education in an urban setting
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, families and school partners including school administration and staff
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills
- Provide feedback from the observations to activities specialists at least once each day they are in the role of the educational specialist.
- Provide the appropriate paperwork weekly to the director of education
- Attend the required professional development monthly
- Provide professional development to activity specialist and line staff at site at least monthly by individual, small group or whole group.
- Review lesson plans weekly and provide feedback on the lesson plans. Approve the lesson plans weekly.
- Report to the director of education for quality of educational service.
- Teacher Certification
- Advanced degree in Education preferred
- At least three years classroom experience in an urban setting
- Proven track record of success in the classroom
- Experience working with students differentiated learning styles.
- Experience supervising school staff a plus.
- Due to licensing requirements, any individual offered a position will be required to submit a background check.
Location: All five boroughs
At time of offer and acceptance, the job requires safety and security clearances through the Department of Education and
Department of Health.
New York Edge is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Disclaimer: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.