- Duties Summary
The incumbent serves as Associate Chief of Staff for Psychiatry and Mental Health Services for the integrated health care system. This is a shared position, you will be required to travel between 3 sites on a regular basis - Canandaigua, Bath and Rochester, NY
The VA Finger Lakes Health Care System is actively seeking a well-qualified psychiatrist with strong leadership and interpersonal skills to service as the Associate Chief of Staff for Psychiatry and Mental Health. The incumbent will report directly to the Chief of Staff and work with the Care Line Manager, Program Managers, Group Practice Manager and Associate Chief Nurse of Mental Health to advance a comprehensive patient
management/clinical support program. In addition to excellent leadership skills, the ideal candidate has strong working knowledge of VA performance measures and is proficient in the principles of System Redesign. The incumbent will call upon their experience in health care operations and planning to implement and promote efficient patient flow and timely access. As a change agent, the Associate Chief of Staff will promote innovation, inspire organizational excellence, and engage the work force. The incumbent will need to demonstrate knowledge of VHA and other accrediting bodies standards and regulations. The ideal candidate will bring leadership experience in integrating MH and Domiciliary Services, activating new clinic spaces, enhancing telehealth services, developing new clinical programs and strengthening academic relationships.
Physicians interested in maintaining part-time clinical practice and teaching are encouraged to apply.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
Recruitment/Relocation Incentive may be authorized to a highly-qualified candidate.Travel Required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.Supervisory status
- Job family (Series)
- Requirements Conditions of Employment
QualificationsBelow are some of the specific duties the ACOS will be expected to perform:
- United States Citizenship Required; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
- Assist in coordinating clinical and support program development.
- Lead teams in meeting VA performance Measures and other performance metrics.
- Participate in local, VISN, and national level committees.
- Develop and monitor quality improvement measures.
- Provide services with technical counsel as necessary, promoting the development of professional staff within the service.
- Participate in top level policy design for Mental Health Care through collaboration with Health Care System Administration.
- Serve as forward thinking physician who embraces Mental Health Care delivery via an integrated care team.
- Direct Mental Health Care programs, delegates authority and is responsible to meet both medical center and service goals.
- Focus on clinical service delivery including maximizing efficiency of clinical systems to help assure timely access to high quality care.
- Ensure the development, implementation, and maintenance of Mental Health requirements in accordance with Veterans Health Administration and Medical Center Policy.
- Provide oversight for clinical staff providing Mental Health services at multiple sites.
- Ensure medical staff compliance with regulations, medical staff by laws, facility policies, Joint Commission standards, CARF standards, performance metrics, and appropriate regulations.
- Assists the Chief of Staff in the efficient management of clinical service to eligible patients and the active maintenance of credentialing, privileging and/or scope of practice system for licensed independent practitioners, advance practice providers, as well as credentialing certain allied health practitioners per VA policy.
- Serves as Acting Chief of Staff as needed and participates in all levels of health care system leadership activities
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 01/25/2021.
Preferred Experience: Board Certified in Psychiatry and demonstrated leadership in Mental Health Service delivery
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: Physical Requirements: Moderate carrying (15-44 lbs.); straight pulling, pushing, reaching above shoulder; walking (up to 3 hours); standing (up to 3 hours); ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; both eyes required; depth perception; ability to distinguish shades of colors; hearing aid permitted.Education
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: . If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: .Additional information
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice: .
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an .How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, resume, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: Applicant's education and length of practice (experience) will be considered by a Compensation Panel in determining the salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.Background checks and security clearanceSecurity clearanceDrug test required
YesPosition sensitivity and riskTrust determination process
- Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes (upload C.V. as resume document type):
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
- Cover Letter
- VA Form 10-2850 - Application for Physicians, Dentists, Podiatrists, Optometrists & Chiropractors
- Professional Certification
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. .
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
All applicants are encouraged to apply online. To apply for this position, you must complete the full questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 01/25/2021 to receive consideration. To preview the questionnaire click .
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USA JOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click Submit My Answers to submit your application package.
NOTE: It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
To verify your application is complete, log into your USA JOBS account, , select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process. To return to an incomplete application, log into your USA JOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USA JOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
NOTE: Participation in the seasonal influenza program is a condition of employment and a requirement for all Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Personnel (HCP). HCP are individuals who, during the influenza season, work in VHA locations where patients receive care or who come into contact with VA patients as part of their duties. VHA locations include, but are not limited to, VA hospitals and associated clinics, community living centers (CLCs), community-based outpatient clinics (CBOCs), domiciliary units, Vet centers and VA-leased facilities. HCP include all VA licensed and unlicensed, clinical and administrative, paid and unpaid, full- and part-time employees, intermittent employees, fee basis employees, VA contractors, students, researchers, volunteers, and trainees who work at these facilities. HCPs that are unable to receive or otherwise decline a flu shot will be expected to wear a face mask throughout the influenza season.Agency contact information Stephanie D'AmatoNext stepsPhone
400 Fort Hill Ave
Canandaigua, NY 14424
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USA Jobs account and clicking on Applications. Information regarding your application status can be found in the .
Participation in the seasonal influenza program is a condition of employment and a requirement for all Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Personnel (HCP). HCP are individuals who, during the influenza season, work in VHA locations where patients receive care or who come into contact with VA patients as part of their duties. VHA locations include, but are not limited to, VA hospitals and associated clinics, community living centers (CLCs), community-based outpatient clinics (CBOCs), domiciliary units, Vet centers and VA-leased facilities. HCP include all VA licensed and unlicensed, clinical and administrative, paid and unpaid, full- and part-time employees, intermittent employees, fee basis employees, VA contractors, students, researchers, volunteers, and trainees who work at these facilities.
- Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about or
This job originated on . For the full announcement and to apply, visit . Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at will be considered.